We need freedom of and freedom from religion
Religious privilege in Australia has a damaging effect on democracy and human rights
- Reason supports religious freedom but not religious privilege.
- Reason supports an end to tax exemptions for religious owned institutes that run purely on a commercial basis.
- Reason calls for religious prayer in parliament to be replaced with a moment of silent reflection.
- Reason believes that religious education, health, and welfare organisations should only receive public funding if they demonstrate non-discriminatory principles.
- Reason supports the dismantling of chaplaincy funding in schools, and for chaplains to be replaced by qualified mental health professionals.
- Reason calls for the removal of ‘Advancing religion’ as a charitable purpose from the Charities Act (2013).