Skip to main content
Strategic Transport Investment
March 29, 2022
- Reason supports rapidly transitioning Australia to an electric economy, testing all options for reducing heavy vehicle and aviation emissions.
- Reason supports transitioning the coal industry to decentralised green energy production as an export to the world, taking advantage of Australia’s green technology resources advantage.
- Reason supports ending the sale of new petrol-fuelled cars in Australia by 2030 and ensure buildings and the electricity grid are electric vehicle-ready.
- Reason supports federal government subsidies for production and sale of electric vehicles removing price barriers for consumers and stimulating local industry.
- Reason supports increasing the truck width limit in Australia from 2.5m to 2.6m, so low-emissions models made for the EU or US (which allow wider trucks) can be used in Australia without expensive modifications.
- Reason supports targeted trials of zero-emissions trucks, particularly hydrogen trucks, to assess their performance under Australian conditions and practices.
- Reason supports imposing a renewable hydrocarbon standard for diesel, aviation fuel, and shipping fuel.