Self-determination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples is key to rebuild links to land and culture that were taken during colonisation.
Surviving the ongoing impacts of colonisation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Strengthen our commitment to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) as a framework for policy building around Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia.
- Immediately remove indue card from Aboriginal communities and re-establish communications around self-determination.
- Remove any residual policies around the Northern Territory Intervention, with a focus on self-determination.
- Reason supports the establishment of an Aboriginal led, government funded policy think tank to guide, build and test policy, undertake research and support Aboriginal self-determination.
- Strengthen federal legislation that overrides state approved mining permits when destruction of land, waterways, artefacts, and continuous culture is agreed by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander land councils or expert witnesses.
- Reason supports the sentiments of the Uluru Statement from the Heart.