Self-determination for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples is key to rebuilding links to land and culture that were taken during colonisation. Reason acknowledges that sovereignty was never ceded and colonisation is the primary cause of First Nations' despair, loss of culture and community and language and intergenerational trauma.
- VACCAS call for a more open and inclusive process from Yoorrook; one that adequately supports more people to give evidence to the Truth Telling Commission in a therapeutic and healing framework, not just a legal response.
- All truth-telling processes must have enough time to undertake the work needed in a way that is culturally safe, therapeutic and trauma-informed.
- an Australian commitment (as in please SIGN IT) to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) as a framework for policy building around Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia.
- Reason supports the sentiments of the Uluru Statement from the Heart, and believes it is essential that Victoria establishes an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation, and government-funded policy think-tank to guide, build and test policy, undertake research and support Aboriginal self-determination in Victoria.
- increased funding for Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations to deliver: impactful early intervention for Aboriginal children; Aboriginal models of care and service delivery, community
- First Nations people access to culturally safe health, education and employment services.
- Aboriginal Victorians having the same opportunities to find and keep employment as all Victorians,
- greater access to land and water to create wealth through Aboriginal cultural knowledge and practice
- greater opportunities for business development and Aboriginal entrepreneurs
- that all decisions made around Aboriginal young people must be made by Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations, and through the Family group decision making (FGDM) model and that this model is better integrated into the Victorian services system
- increased funding for Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations programs that support reunification as well as intervention and prevention and intensive family support for young people entering any form of care.